We depend on the expertise and experience of our people, and their health, skills and safety, to operate our manufacturing facilities safely and efficiently, and in so doing assist in the delivery of our strategy. Our thorough people management methodology contributes to resolving inequalities in the workplace and our substantial investment in employee training and development ensures that we have the appropriate skills to sustain and grow our business.
We have an inclusive culture and we value diversity. Our people operate within a clearly defined framework and must adhere to the group’s code of conduct and business ethics.
Trade-offs in our use of human capital
A sluggish economy in South Africa and across the continent resulted in a highly competitive environment which led to the closure of some of our manufacturing sites and lines with a resultant reduction of employee numbers.
This negatively impacted human and social and relationship capital but has been positive for financial capital as we have benefited from a lower cost structure.
|Number of employees||Number||6 420||6 678|
|Graduate development programmes||Men||17||11|
|Employee development investment||R million||23.5||53.3|
|Annual HIV counselling and testing in South Africa||% employees||76||59|
|Wages and salaries paid||R billion||3.1||3.1|
|Lost-time injury frequency rate||Rate||0.41||0.48|
|Managers attending leadership training||Number||129||109|
|Graduate development programme graduates employed||Number||13||26|
How we achieved these outcomes
- Continued to focus on implementation of our health and safety programmes, including self-audits on risk control standards augmented by peer audits
- Refreshed our values and updated our code of conduct and business ethics
- Provided bursaries for studies in engineering, science and accounting, and key disciplines in our business
- Invested in our training and development programmes
- Continued to conduct annual reviews to identify potential management talent
- Appointed a specialist manager to enhance group corporate finance and treasury
- Strengthened the executive committee with appointment of an experienced manager to oversee group restructuring
HUMAN CAPITAL FOCUS: SECURING OUR TALENT PIPELINE
We regard training and developing our employees as essential to maintaining our overall competitive advantage in the market. The Nampak graduate development programme, which has been operating for many years, is one of the ways of growing our own talent. This programme is aimed at ensuring we have managers and leaders to sustain Nampak into the future.